Wow, this is my first regular post since I moved. It feels good to be able to make things again and do projects around the house. When we moved into our house here in New Hampshire, I found out I need some storage solutions for all of my craft paraphernalia, especially my yarn stash. I patterned this after some laundry baskets I have seen although I am not putting a lining in it. I want to see all the colors of yarn coming through.
- Garden fencing – found at Home Depot
- Round wood disc – found at Home Depot
- 4 Casters
- Staples & Staple Gun
- Decorative wire of your choice – I used a copper craft wire from Michaels
- Stain or paint for the wood disc
- Polycrylic to seal
- Gloves – I suggest gloves as I got a few scratches on my hands while twisting the wire together
To begin, I sanded down the disc and stained it with Vintage Aqua by Minwax. I applied two coats of the stain to achieve the look I wanted. Then I sealed the disc with the Polycrylic also by Minwax.
I cut the wire to fit around the wood disc, leaving enough wire on each side to twist together.
My daughter held the disc until it was sturdy enough for me to do on my own while I began stapling the wire down to the bottom of the disc.
After I had all the wire all stapled down, I connected the two open sides by twisting the wires together. First I did each join just enough to keep it together.
Then I came back and made sure each join wouldn’t catch on anything or snag any yarn that was going in it.
Flipping the whole basket over, I screwed on the four casters. I used only two screws on each caster since this bin won’t get heavy use.
Flipping the bin back over, I wanted to cover the joints just to make sure they wouldn’t snag anything. I coiled 12 gauge copper craft wire around each joint and down the side of the basket to make it a bit decorative.
I took the copper wire all the way down the side and crossing it over to the next vertical wire at the bottom of the bin where it hit the wood disc. Each joint was wrapped at least twice to cover any rough spots that might catch on the yarn or clothes as people walk by. I can run my hand down the side and nothing catches or is rough. Bending a piece of the wire into a crescent for a handle, I added it in between the two vertical wires at the top of the basket.
With the handle on, I finished by coiling the wire over the handle and back to where I started it. I added the exact same thing directly across the bin to make it symmetrical.
The yarn I have easily fit in the basket with plenty of room left for more.
That means a trip to the store. 🙂
I am linking up with these parties.
I am not affiliated with any product I use. The products are mentioned merely for you to achieve the same results I did.